It’s an important part of updating your site. I will show you why you need one and how to get the best. (Auto-updating and written by a privacy expert attorney? Yes, please!)
This article is modified from a presentation I gave at the 2023 Innovative AF Conference. In that conference, I entitled my presentation “Trust Signals for Privacy: The Internet is Not the Wild West Anymore.”
People Care About Their Privacy Online
Do you have friends or acquaintances who worry about how much information companies like Facebook and YouTube have on them? People are more careful and questioning nowadays about sharing their info.
We Can Stand Out From the Competition When We Show Our Professional Policies
We Want To Avoid Penalties
It is possible to be sued for not having legally required information on your website. And here’s the kicker: in some laws, the penalty or fine is per violation, meaning that fines can be multiplied by the number of visitors to your site!
Having a policy in place is simple compared to the potential results of not following the law.
It’s the Right Thing To Do
Privacy is a human right. It’s good and right to communicate our policies about privacy to our audience.
- A form that takes someone’s email address.
- You collect ANY personally identifiable information in a form.
- Running Google Analytics or another analytics tool. (You are storing IP addresses of your users. That is definitely PII!)
In short, businesses collect info about their audience, and they should communicate about that collection of information through a visible policy.
WHY Do We Avoid This Task?
- It’s boring.
- It’s hard. We aren’t equipped to know all the applicable data privacy laws around the world. And we don’t have time to read more every time the law changes.
- We think the consequences won’t reach us.
- We want to do it, but it keeps getting put off on our TO-DO list.
The solution is Termageddon!
Termageddon Solves My Problems With Having Legal Policies
I searched for a couple years before finding Termageddon, and I was excited to learn about their company, because they solved every problem I had with legal pages for websites.
- Their policies are written by an attorney.
- Their policies don’t cost nearly as much as hiring an attorney.
- Their policies are written by a data privacy expert.
- Their policies are updated when the laws change.
- The updated policies automatically update on websites (through embedded html code).
- They have awesome customer service, responding to questions personally.
I recommend upgrading your legal pages today!
Here’s what’s included:
- auto-updating Terms
- auto-updating Disclosures
- Cookies user consent tool
- (and an End User License Agreement if you sell software)
Termageddon’s solution to providing legal pages is high quality, low cost, and a great overall decision for your website.